HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: writing groups

patricia Johnson

writing groups

I am a new writer and i have a MS that i have somewhat edited but i need input from others in the field. I've gotten the friends and family editing...you know 'oh honey your so wonderful.' I want a honest review and i know i could use some editing just not sure where to go from here. I work 60+ a week so a intown writing group is out of the question so i was wondering if i could get some tips for joining an online writing group. I'm not having much luck with goggle.
    thanks
    PJ

Sam English

Re: writing groups

You can post 500-1000 words here in the Writing Craft section. You will get some honest and straightforward feedback.

patricia Johnson

I thought about that Sam. My ms is 57k and i thought dropping it in there 1k at a time would get someone killed...namely me-lol. I also think it would take forever and a day going through the story that way.

jayce

Post your opening paragraphs. In most cases, that's all an agent will see. Based on that--and your query letter--they'll decide whether to ask for more... or not.

patricia Johnson

Thank you both...I just posted the first page in craft forum. its was weird i didn't think it would be as scary as it was-lol. clicking that paste button was hard. I still would like some tips for finding writers groups online though.
    thank you
    PJ

Sam English

Most writing groups won't go through your entire MS page by page, if that's what you're looking to do. That would be an editor's job...or a mentor with a huge heart.

Raven Nights

Patricia,

I just went to the writing craft forum to take al ook at your 1000-word extract and couldn't find it. Are you sure you posted it?

Raven

patricia Johnson

yes, i did post it and you gave me a really good and helpful reply! thank you so much for your input! my first instinct was to not change the intro of the names (you know the dig in and be stubborn for no other reason besides 'its my baby!'-lol)but after reading your post i 'uncoiled' so to speak. thank you very much!

PJ

Raven Nights

Hi PJ,

I knew where you were coming from and I'm glad it has helped.

Cheers,
    Raven