HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: On spec.

Amanda Brenner

On spec.

I have been invited to submit my novel "on spec." Does this indicate a faint interest, or does it mean just one more for the slush pile? I'm not holding my breath. But 'on spec' is a new one.

AB

jayce

Re: On spec.

Who are you submitting it to and how did you hook up with them?

Lea Zalas

Never heard of "on spec". Did they say they want an exclusive for a set period of time?

Lea

Amanda Brenner

The publishing company is a reputable one, but I'd rather not identify them. I sent three chapters and a synopsis and got a letter inviting me to send the complete manuscript "on spec." I've gotten a lot of rejections, but "on spec" almost sounds promising. I looked online for a definition, and all I could find is that it is work done without a contract or promise of publication. But isn't that always the case when you submit cold to a publisher? It was pretty much of a form letter and didn't mention exclusives or set periods. Like I said, I won't hold my breath, but for a brief moment there seemed a flicker of possible hope.

Thanks anyway.

AB

Joe Zeff

In this case, "on spec" is probably short for "on speculation." That is, they want to see/read your complete MS (good!) but they're being up front about not guaranteeing acceptance.

Mark Ellis

As long as you're not talked into writing a book "on spec", then you're fine.

Although I must admit I've never heard of an editor employing the "on spec" term as an invitation to submit a manuscript.

Amanda Brenner

Thanks to everyone for your comments. It's been almost a year to the day that I sent the same publisher my first western, and I'm not typing this from an island in the Bahamas. But, hope springs eternal, so here we go again.

Thanks.

AB