HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Gary Kessler

Re: Should I have my manuscript professionally edited before sending to agents?

You've not going to get rid of them all to publishing industry specifications unless you train yourself in publishing industry style standards. And the only writers I've encountered who were willing to do that are also publishing industry editors.

For the eighty-eleventh time, yes, good presentation is important. But it will never, never, never trump good substance told engagingly. And those who trumpet perfect copy usually are the ones who have neglected the substance and storytelling.

And, I'm sorry, but agents and publishers aren't dummies. They know that syntax can be fixed but that substance and storytelling are crucial--and have to be there from the writer's hand.

Anthony Ravenscroft

I am a professional book editor ... I don't suggest paying for your own edit before submitting.

And I'm solidly behind this sentiment as well.

Most writers who're ready to dump hundreds or thousands of $US on editors should instead be going off to the local community college & bribing a Composition instructor to become a coach/tutor, & walk the writer through her/his writing. That way, a few bucks reward a teacher, & the writer learns a bit about (a) self-editing, & (b) how to write better in the first place. If you don't need more than an hour of feedback on a single pass of reading, then you might pay as little as a gift card to Red Lobster.

Joseph Canavan

Edit yourself for sure, it is part of the process and you will find the work strengthens immeasurably as you self-edit. You would lose something by having someone else do that for you.

Gary Kessler

Review your work, for sure, which should help make it better, but no one can edit themselves. Their mind sees what they thought their hand typed when it hasn't always done that. And there will be habitual mistakes they make that aren't going to suddenly become a nonhabit between the writing and the reviewing stages.

Renetta Cochran

Abraham's Publishing Company
    PO Box 13143
    Flint, MI 48501
    810-394-2988

*If you are a new and aspiring writer with dreams of becoming an Author, but has found it difficult because of outrages pricing.

*If you are already a published Author, but your book isn't in any of the major bookstores and you want to republish or you need more marketing.

*If you have notes everywhere and don't know where to start.

*Then I believe that God has opened up a door for your dreams to become reality.

*Lowest price around and payment plan available.

*No hassle and easy submissions

*please don't hesitate to call, email or visit my website:

www.projectrevitalization.com
    abrahamspublishing@yahoo.com

Renetta J. Cochran
    President/CEO

*We're here to help you become the Author you've always dream of becoming*

*Great Marketing tools available*
    Audio Book Trailer and Audio Books for your advertising

jeff danenhower

Great Marketing tools available? What, posting peoples work on a writers blog?
    Get real Renetta- Get a life- Better yet get a professional profession!

Well Read

Jeff, Renetta will not go away, trust me. She has an obligation to the poor, struggling Authors that still dream of becoming, or something like that. Pure Vulturism at its finest. Welcome to the USA. Where you can still get fleeced. And get a reach around!

JaydeS x

Ellen, I paid for a professional edit (Pamela Guerrieri from proofedtoperfection.com) a while ago because I was so busy at work and couldn't wait to get my manuscript out there. It was one of the worst mistakes of my life. No matter how many sample edits you ask for and how much BS some may tell you so that you may fall for it, don't do it. The quality I received was lower than low. This woman made so many grammar mistakes in her edited parts that I could have kicked myself for my stupidity. She also turned it from a suspense thriller into chick-lit because she thought it read so much better.
    In the end, I corrected the mistakes myself and had a proper read through it with a friend of mine. Then I cut out all the 'cherry-red lipstick' and 'sparkly green eyeshadow' parts and turned it back into the mystery it was before. I had a partial request within days.
    It's up to you whether you may want to take this route - you may even be lucky and find someone who is good at what he does but remember, anyone can claim to be an editor. If you lack the confidence to do an edit yourself, then pay someone to look at the first three chapters only, never pay for the entire book up front unless you have too much money on your hands.

Would I do it again? Possibly if I didn't have the time (which I don't) and if I found a good editor but as things stand, after asking for more than 30 sample edits, I'm not convinced that the editors you find on the net are worth their money.

Would I pay for a book critique? Yes, because in the end, as someone said already, a good book will attract an agent. Take Stephenie Meyer's example, not that I'm a fan in any way.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone with my opinion but that's talking from experience.

sam alibone

... my opinion is... if you do not know how to edit your own manuscript, then you shouldn't waste your time submitting it. Writing isn't just about a good story- if only that was the case! If you are writing and hoping that people will one day give you money for these tales- take it seriously.

...The hardest part of writing the novel is... editing... You don't just do it once and think, well, chapter three is a bit poo, but shucks, the agent/publisher will fix it- they won't. It doesn't matter how good the rest of the novel is- it will never be read.

...most agents employ readers, and their job is to sift through the pile of unsolicited MSS and pick out those books which might be interesting. As other posters have said, these readers discard anything that lacks good basic grammar, has confused tense, weak characters, too much verbiage, et cetera.

That's why I, on my first novel, am still editing the blighter! I have been editing it for a year. A whole year. That's 365 days. The first six months of that, I worked maybe... a hour a day, overall, but for the past six months I have worked on average, for five hours a day. Every day.

It is killing me. Every time I think I've finished... I realise I have not. I realise that, for perfection, I want chapter 23 to replace chapter 13, I can condense chapters 6 and 3, I can get rid of a whole three scenes with a well placed sentence in chapter 4... this is the craft...

it will be finished when it is finished. I will know when that is, and yes, woo! that day is soon approaching...

Of 100 novels that are started, only three are ever finished. Just three. Or so the statistics say. Most people give up before they get to the edit stage, so pat yourself on the back for getting that far, I reckon.

If you're stuck editing- then write your synopsis. That should expose any glaring inadequacies, and if these inadequacies do not exist, then it's ready- send it off- you have as much chance as the next person, assuming you've spell checked, haven't defamed anyone, have a story worth reading, etc cetera...

Hopefully you will not construe this post as offensive- it isn't intended that way.

Janice W-D

Sam,

Well put. I hope a lot of our newbies here read your post.

Best,
    Janice