HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Warp Drive.

Andre Ford

Warp Drive.

I understand that unless I'm writing a Star Trek novel that I'm not supposed to use a Warp drive in my science fiction. That I will never considered as a serious sci-fi writer if I do. What do you feel Warp in fiction?

jayce

Re: Warp Drive.

What do you feel Warp in fiction?

I can't parse that sentence.

Andre Ford

Sorry,

Do you think that its a good idea to have ships, in sci-fi stories, use a warp drive to quickly traverse the universe?

Sam Fletcher

No, don't use warp drive. Use something exactly like warp drive that is called something else. Call it a Tachyon drive, an FTL drive, a space fold drive or something like that. You can even name it after the creator of the technology like the Winstorm drive. Faster than light travel is a mainstream of science fiction and every author has his own name for it. I even have a name for my version of the drive and no I'm not going to tell you what it is. :-)

Joe Zeff

Yes, every SF writer has their own name for their FTL drive. The one Jerry Pournelle uses in his stories, and that he and Larry Niven use in some of their co-authored books is the Alderson Drive, named after my friend, the late, lamanted Daniel J. Alderson. E.E. "Doc" Smith used the Bergenholm Drive, James Blish used Spindizzies, and there are any number of other examples. Make up your own, give it a name, decide how it works and be consistent in its use. Don't borrow somebody else's idea, unless you're writing fan fiction and don't care if it ever gets published.

Gary Kessler

I've always wondered about a lot of sci-fi people writing now--especially the regurgitators of other people's worlds. Isn't the point of science fiction being out on the cutting edge of the new, not previously done?

Pamela Gemme

God this is such a serious discussion.... When a subject is motivating and interesting to a person it sometimes has its own element of denial hence warp drive lighten up people we are not all getting on the ship

Gary Kessler

Well, in "warp drive," is a trademarked name--which it very likely is--there's every reason to ask this as a serious question here. And every reason to have a serious discussion of it here (better than in court).

Keith .

Topic sounds legit to me, too.

Andre Ford

According to Orson Scott Card an FTL drive is just plain silly. That and according to the theory of relativity such a drive is impossible.

However, according to scientist, the bumble bee was never meant to fly and neither was the F-16... and yet they fly.