HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Ronto Yukimaru

Will someone PLEASE give me some advice, or do I have to offer cookies to lure you people over here? -taps foot impatiently-

Alright, fine. Maybe I'm just acting like every other bratty 14 year old on this planet. Flame me, then, or whatever it is you do here. but can you give me some advice first? (no, that is not the bait hook question where people reply "Yes, you can no post this sort of thing in the first place" or some joke involving a stupid celebrity..)

I'm writing a book. I have been writing it for a year and a half, it is 1/6 of the way done and 57 chapters and over 500 pages long. WHAT CRITERIA WOULD YOU RECOMMEND I USE TO CUT IT DOWN TO A DECENT LENGTH?

leslee

Re: Will someone PLEASE give me some advice, or do I have to offer cookies to lure you people over here? -taps foot impatiently-

Don't injure your foot.

I'm sure you'll get some deep and valuable observations, but you have to remember that it takes time to read a person's work and formulate comments. We're all busy people and don't spend our entire day here.

So, have a nice beverage and relax. Breathe deeply.

You'll get your responses when people have time.

Ronto Yukimaru

Re: Will someone PLEASE give me some advice, or do I have to offer cookies to lure you people over here? -taps foot impatiently-

ooohkay.

-deep breath-

I'm too young for coffee. -goes to get hot chocolate-

Joe Zeff

One piece of long-term advice I can give you: stop thinking in terms of page count, and start thinking of word count. Why? Because that's how publishing works. How many pages your book is depends on so many things: paper size, margins, font, font size, single or double spaced. (If it's not double spaced, it should be.) Word count, on the other hand, stays fixed no matter how you format.

BTW, if you consider yourself too young for coffee, get yourself some yummy chocolate-covered coffee beans and eat them!

Ronto Yukimaru

thanks for the advice. ^_^ finally.

It's 12pt, single-spaced, and each chapter is about 10,000 words... =/

Holly Invisible

Whatever you do, do not worry about length while you are writing a novel, it makes some parts seem rushed. Just go with the flow and see what you come up with. In the end, if it is too long to publish then start cutting stuff out that you do not need. Or, what I would do, cut it into a few novels and make a whole series out of it.

Ronto Yukimaru

Hm...

What parts should be taken out, though? I mean, what's usually the first to go?

Holly Invisible

Well, I don't know, it all depends on how long it is, and how long it should be.

Holly Invisible

Whoops, it did not post it all. I have taken out extra descriptions of people and places. Also, keep in the suspense, but take out parts that do not contribute to the story, that do not make the story confusing if they are missing.

Amanda Brenner

Let it sit for awhile, say a few months. Don't look at it, don't think about it. Then try to read it as though you are seeing it for the first time. What does and does not belong may become clear.

Good luck.

AB