HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Critique

Dennis Boyle

Critique

I wrote my first novel and I need to get my writing critiqued by a reputable person.

1: Where do I find someone?
    2: Is there anyone who will read the first few pages for free?
    3: If not, what is a reasonable fee?

I had a guy quote me $1500 to do it, which is way beyond what I can afford to spend.

thanks

Ce Ce

Re: Critique

If you post some material in Writing Craft, people here will look at it gratis.

You really shouldn't pay anyone to read/critique your work.

And the internet is filled with people who will happily take your money and do nothing more than run your work through SpellCheck or GrammarCheck.

Read a lot. Learn how to write. Read a lot. Learn how to self-edit. Read a lot. Learn how to revise and revise and revise.

Read a lot.

Linden Holidae

Hey, CeCe

I read on this site more than i put my 2 cents in, i was wondering what you have written. Or if anything, what you're experiences are. Usually, if i see you've said something, i read the thread. Another favorite of mine on this site is smiling curmudgeon, or how ever you spell it.

perhaps one day i will post my first chapter when i've done the best i could and i'm done with my novel, (in a year or two) and you and smiling cur will say to me:

Well, i'm impressed. There's some dusting up a bit, but wow, i haven't been this drawn into a novel in years! I can't wait for your book to be released...etc, gloat, praise, fawn, hehehehe....

Hey, i can' dream, isn't that what pulls us through our writing anyway? -linden

Ce Ce

Re: Hey, CeCe

Dreaming is always good. Just remember that bit about putting a foundation underneath your castles in the air.

As for me, I've written a lot -- though you'll have to take my word for that, since I'm anonymous here and would prefer to stay that way. I've written and published novels consistently since the early 80s. I write commercial genre fiction, and I make my living at it.

And since I've been at it so long, have been involved with various writer's organizations, have worked with countless editors and several major publishers over the years, I figure my industry advice is pretty solid.

But I also believe people should weigh whatever advice they get, and do their best to check it out.

I mean, I could be a jailed murderer with an inexplicable internet connection and too much time on my hands. Right?

Linden Holidae

Actually ya....

that was my second impression of you, after the experiance behind your advice. I did think you were a jailed murderer, it was just a feeling i had...... hehe

-i also like to keep my true identity off the net. The stupid thing though is my main character is Linden, so 'when the book is published,' then, well, ... that'll teach me to plan ahead.

Jay Elwood Seymour

Re: Actually ya....

Read a lot
    Read a lot
    Read a lot
    Read a lot
    Read a lot
    Read a lot
    Read a lot
    Read a lot
    Read a lot
    Read a lot
    Read a lot
    Read a lot

and then when your done...

Read a lot more

Josia Campe

Re: Actually ya....

Even if you have to pay to be read, that is grossly out of line. Just post it here for free, and the people who read it are probably at least as qualified as the one who wants $1,500.