HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: word count

Heather Richardson

word count

Newbie here so have a lot of questions and so happy to have found this site.

Is there an average word count or range that is used as a standard?

Ce Ce

Re: word count

An average word count for what?

Heather Richardson

Fiction book. I have seen a lot of people talking about word count on here. Is there a standard in the business, like what is considered average?

Sail Away

Heather,
    If you want to be a writer, you need to learn how to do some basic research. You can find almost anything with Google if you can figure out the right keywords. Sometimes you have to play around with several.

Check these sites. You might find some useful information. Also, check your library or local bookstore.

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=average+word+count+novel>

-SA

Heather Richardson

thanks for your reply. However, kindly understand I do know how to do basic research. I have bought and borrowed more books than I would like to admit from various bookstores/libraries on the topic of writing and publishing. Have also read many magazines on it, and am researching online which is how I found this site. I am posting questions that have not been clearly answered for me in all of these resources or topics that I have found conflicting information on.

Thanks again, I will try the link you posted!

Joe Zeff

There was a time when 35,000 words was considered a novel, but that was about half a century ago. NaNoWriMo asks for 50,000 in 30 days because it's not out of reach for most people. However, most publishers are expecting 80,000 to 110,000 from an unknown writer. Does that answer your question?

Heather Richardson

absolutely! Thanks for your time.