HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: overwhelmed

Heather Richardson

overwhelmed

Hi,

I have been writing as a personal hobby for some time, always thinking about the bigger goal of being published. I am ready to put my work out there to see what happens. I have been researching where to start, how to do it, etc., and am a bit overwhelmed with all of this. I know it's just the beginning so I better get over it quickly.

However, can someone help steer me at least in the direction of contacting agents, etc?

I found info to say this is where to start:
    * ONE-PAGE cover letter succinctly describing your manuscript or project
    * ONE-PARAGRAPH biographical statement, focusing on your writing and publishing history (include a brief CV or resumé from another field if you have not been published)
    * A self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) for the agent’s reply
    * No more than 25 pages of sample text

Is this true? Is the one page cover letter the query letter you are all mentioning on here? I appreciate it!

Keith Bouchard

Re: overwhelmed

Try this website, I find it very useful.

http://www.agentquery.com/

Michael Raymond

Firstly, congrats on finishing your work.
    Each agency will have their own requirements for submission. Be aware that there are lots of bogus agents and scams.
    When you find an interesting one, investigate before sending anything.
    Google them.
    Google writers beware - a website name I forget but who list scams and bogus agents and publishers.
    Know too that there are publish-for-pay outfits that charge lots of money to publish. They also will publish anything, good or bad.
    Most agents demand that you get a professional edit done, which is expensive.
    You can expect to spend some money. If you just want to see it in print, go to lulu.com
    Lulu print what you send them, very inexpensively. It is a book on demand service. You don't have to print hundreds.
    Be patient, if you can. I read somewhere that you should spend at least as much time looking for publishing as you did to write the manuscript.

Regards

Mike
    www.mike-raymond.com

Stacy Copping

preditors & editors is also a good link.

Sail Away

Most agents demand that you get a professional edit done, which is expensive.

Uh, no. Most agents do NOT demand that you get a professional edit done.

Just the opposite.

-SA

Stacy Copping

Michael,

Is your novel self-published? Did you have an agent?

Stacy

leslee

"Most agents demand that you get a professional edit done, which is expensive."

Completely untrue. Agents do not generally suggest this, much less "demand" it.

Heather Richardson

Thanks for the replies so far!

Michael Raymond

OK, I stand corrected on the editor issue. Let me clarify. Most of the agents that I researched wanted it edited first.

To answer Stacy, yes I used Lulu to print my book.

I spent a year submitting to agents and publishers before deciding that I just wanted the project finished.

Congrats to those with more stamina and time.

Stacy Copping

Michael,

I asked because I have just finished my first novel that I feel is suitable to share with others. (My first books remain stashed in dusty files due to content I would not want family members to read). I have researched this question and found that the self publishing companies request fees for editing, or claim to "refer" the author to someone else who, surprise! is affiliated with company A in some way.

I hope to have the stamina required to hook an agent. If not, my story will join the pile with the others.

stacy