HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussionWritersNet Email
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Jeffrey Phillips

What is the average length of a young adult book

I have written nearly 60k of my young adult novel. But, as I enter the beginning of the publishing process, I wonder if this is long enough to be considered by a publisher. What is the average length for a normal young adult novel?

Melquisedec Araiza

Re: What is the average length of a young adult book

Hmm, I really don't know Jeff. But if you want to give yourself a little picture of how long and thick your book might look like when it's published, the first Harry Potter book is only around 76k. So if your final story has around 76k, you can pretty much bet that it would be about as thick as HP#1. Hope that helps in some way.

-MEL-

Cathy C

YA is generally from 55K-70K. I'd say you're right in the middle, so you should be fine. But I'd also mention that no matter HOW long the book is, if it's terrific--someone will buy it. Look at Eragon, which is still on the YA bestseller's list after multiple years.

Melquisedec Araiza

Cathy's right, Jeffrey. At first, when I began to write my first book, I worried a lot more about how long it was instead of how good it actually is. Quality always comes first, then comes quantity. Just look at The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It's not the longest book ever written (around 44k), but it has sold millions of copies because of its quality and simplicity. After all, you'll want to be remembered by the quality and terrific written in your books instead of how long they are, right? Just trust in your writing and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

-MEL-

Jeffrey Phillips

Well, I currently have a friend working on the cover art, and he says that I need a good bit more of detail, right. This was two weeks ago and I only had about 45k or 50k of words, and I went back and looked over it and saw he was right. So, I spent a good bit of my long weekend typing and adding things and things like that to stretch it to 60k and I'm only about halfway through the revising process. So, I guess it could be short, but if not having enough detail it may not be as good.

Cathy C

It sounds like you're considering self-publishing anyway (since you have your friend working on cover art--which wouldn't be accepted at a large publisher unless he's in the business.) If so, then the length really doesn't matter. Write until you're happy with it. But if you're looking for one of the major NY firms to take it, you'll be better off with 60-70K.

Jeffrey Phillips

This is what that says? I'm sorry, that isn't what I wish to do. I have looked through several publishers who have accepted the art of the author, if there is any, along with the manuscript. I probably would not do self-publsihing because I cannot go out to promote my book. I have to go to school, and even in my spare time I have stuff to do.
    I also have him to do some editing, by his own request, in his time as well.