Manulani (Thoth Literary Agency) Thelen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Agency: THOTH LITERARY AGENCY
P. O. Box 620277
Littleton, Colorado, United States
Home page: http://www.hawaiianhulahips.com/thothliteraryagency/
LEAD others using the principles of empowerment, honesty, quality, and excellence.
REMEMBER what's important in life is personal growth, development of talents, relationships, productivity, and contribution.
RECOGNIZE strengths and develop talents in others and myself as one who is adaptable, a communicator, energetic, generous, insightful, dependable, respectful and optimistic.
1. Although we are not yet members of AAR, we abide by their Canon of Ethics.
2. We never charge reading or publisher search fees.
3. We provide honest, customized feedback at no charge.
4. We work hard in promoting your work.
5. We have over 30 years experience in the arts.
6. We earn our money solely from commission, which is a percentage of your earned royalties from a publisher.
7. We will keep you informed of all activities on your behalf.
8. We're members of WritersNet, WRITERS MARKET and recipients of State and Federal grants.
ATTN: NO EMAIL OR FAX QUERIES PLEASE!
(This means that if you send a query by either fashion you probably won't hear from us.)
HOW TO CONTACT: Query with SASE, Synopsis and first 3 chapters to:
THOTH LITERARY AGENCY
P.O.Box 620277, Littleton, Colorado 80162-0277
We respond in 3 weeks to queries; 6 weeks to MSS.
Accepts simultaneous submissions
Returns materials only with SASE
TERMS: Agent receives 10% commission on domestic sales; 15% on foreign sales. Offers written contract, binding for 2 years.
1. No gimmicks; comply with guidelines.
2. Always include SASE or else we won't be able to contact you.
3. Please send properly prepared sample chapters; first 3, double-spaced and in a readable font (e.g., Times New Roman 10-12). Please don't send your only copy of the artwork or mss. We cannot be responsible for lost materials.
4. Make sure you submit your best work possible - check grammar and spelling, passionately! Keep in mind that you're ultimately expecting the masses to pay somewhere in the range of $15.00+ for your book. It never benefits you to send in a query or mss with misspellings (you'd be surprised how many are submitted). Simply stated: publishers and agents believe that if you can't spell, you can't write.
5. While it is wonderful that the neighborhood children, your mother, father, nephews, nieces, friends and significant other love your work and think it's brilliant, it is totally irrelevant and not impressive to any agent or publisher. What is important is whether the book is marketable!
6. You need to sell yourself as well. What are your accomplishments? Have you been published? Tell us about YOU!
7. Keep your query to the point...try this exercise: Describe your book in ONE sentence; you should be able to do so.
8. This is an IMPORTANT point worth repeating:
Make sure to send an SASE!
"We are not interested in receiving poorly written submissions from authors with grandiose attitudes; don't compare yourself to Jane Austen, J.R.R. Tolkien, etc. Blackmail never works--don't tell us that you'll only send your manuscript to us if we can guarantee you will be published. Please always send a SASE or else we won't be able to contact you. Write stories that make sense; research everything down to the bone; think about what you're writing and don't leave people wondering what you meant. Most importantly, be proud of your work; no self-deprecation."
Memberships: Artist In Residence - State of Colorado;
Toastmasters International of Colorado;
Halau Ho'opalama Educational Foundation;
Listed in Jeff Herman's directory of agents: No
Reading fee: No